Saturday, July 21, 2007

Where have they gone?

Well, we just returned from our second meal and time of fellowship with the Brown family in celebration of Anthony's one year anniversary of being drug free, only by the grace of God. What a great testimony he has.

No time spent with Trace would be complete without listening to sermons from various preachers of old and one preacher of now Paul Washer. We were listening to a compilation of sermons from preachers such as Leonard Ravenhill, Paris Reidhead and so on. A thought came to my mind listening to Ravenhill speak about sitting under the teaching of AW Tozer. Where have these men gone??

Paul Washer speaks of his time of sitting under Ravenhill. Keith Green also speaks about sitting under the teaching of Ravenhill. Then you have the preachers of very old like Wesley, Bunyan, Whitfield, Edwards and of course Spurgeon. I know I have left so many others out, these holy men who feared God and knew salvation was so much more than just a prayer a flu shot so to speak. I have done it once and nothing more is required.

It scares me when I think about these men and then look at the men filling pulpits across America today and I have to ask, where have they gone? How did Christianity get to the place it is today? And more importantly what are we doing to rectify the situation.

I know there are men out there that have the same burden as I. I know God has placed many of those men right here around me. Are there others? If so why is there no Great Awakening part II so to speak? Have we become so engulfed with the concerns of the world that the Word of God is being choked out of our lives? Are we in this crises of watered down Christianity because there are no more holy men? Am I just fooling myself into thinking I'm some sort of spiritual machine putting on a face to ease my own conscious??

These thoughts really scare me. Could the preachers of old have been just as concerned and asking the same questions?

God help us to see the absolute necessity for holiness in out lives, without which no man shall see the face of God. God help us to have a passion for the lost and raise up strong disciples of Christ. God help us to be faithful with the knowledge we have right now. God help us to fall on our faces crying out to you to heal our broken spirits and our land. God help us to repent toward you and send revival in our own lives and our land.

Where have they gone????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those interested I have a podcast with high quality MP3's of Paul Washer' messages, as well as other faithful preachers, called “Uncommonly Powerful Preaching”. The website address is:
http://upp.mypodcast.com

If you use iTunes you can subscribe to this podcast here:
http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=253804331

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

Kenneth was just talking about this very thing a few months ago. He loves to read about the preachers of "old". It is sad, however, that there doesn't seem to be many of that caliber beyond Billy Graham at the moment. If your son continues on like he has been, I expect that will all change! What a blessing to have a child fully surrendered to God :)

In Christ,

Julie

btw...would you tell Michael that I liked his newest post? I tried to comment again, but it wouldn't let me. Can he change his settings to allow non-blogger/google comments?