Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Parable of the Sower

God is so great. I was reading an article the other day and God showed me something I had overlooked so many times I was almost embarrassed to admit it. We have all read the parable of the sower I'm sure, but just in case you can't remember it I have posted it below;

Listen; Behold, there went out a sower to sow: And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up. And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth: But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away. And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit. And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some a hundred.
(Mar 4:3-8)

I have used these verses so many times to illustrate a false convert and that false conversions are possible. Although a person can look and act the part of a Christian for a while in the end their true nature will prevail. The amazing thing about this parable is the fact that is has nothing to do with the false convert and everything to do with the sower. I feel that would be a fantastic reason for these verses to be labeled the parable of the sower.

So many times in American evangelism the attempt is made to try and coerce someone into believing or getting them to shake their head in agreement at the right time while reading certain verses with them as fast as you can so you can move on to the next person and get them to shake their heads. Our part in evangelism is not to get anyone to agree with anything we say and it's certainly not to play God or try and bring conviction, that is the part of the Holy Spirit. Our part in evangelism is simply to do as this parable instructs and sow seeds of the gospel. This sower didn't care what kind of ground the seed landed on he was only doing what he was commanded to do and that is to sow seed to every living creature. Sow the seeds and let God give the increase.

I hear people all the time say, I'm not sure what God's will is for my life. Or, I really want to do something for the Lord but I just don't what to do. May I suggest while your doing whatever it is you do to find God's will you start slinging as much seed out there as you can. Reach into your bag and start throwing seed and let it fall on whatever ground it will and let God be God.

How can crops grow unless a seed is planted, how can someone else water unless a seed is planted, how can God give the increase unless a seed is planted.

Be faithful, and fear not what man can do to you, but fear God. Jesus said the harvest is plenteous, but the laborers are few.

Happy sowing.....

1 comment:

Buddy said...

Mike...this is a great post! I am in agreement with you that the message is about the sower. Unfortunatly, it seems I rarely come into contact with people who see it. Rather, I come into contact with more judges than sowers. They would rather focus and judge the soil, what comes out of it, and sometimes even those casting seed, than to simply be about sowing themselves. All the while, laborers are needed. Laborers consistantly casting the seed by the testimony or their life and their word day after day.