Thursday, August 16, 2007

Helping the Butterfly

A man once noticed that a butterfly was struggling to get out of a cocoon, so he took a razor blade and slit the side of it to help the poor creature. It struggled, then fell out onto the ground, and after a little movement, died.

The man hadn't helped the butterfly; he had killed it. The very process of struggling in the cocoon should have pumped blood into the wings of the butterfly, giving it beauty, life, and character.

In the same way, all the trials and struggles which come our way are not to do us harm, but to do us good. They are bringing beauty and color to our character, which will be revealed the moment we break free from the cocoon of this life.

So, don't wait to be free from trials before you reach out to those who are still in the shadow of death. There goes another minute. Gone forever. Go share your faith while you still have time.

courtesy of Way of the Master
www.wayofthemaster.com

6 comments:

Cherie said...

James 1:2-4
"2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

I want to be mature, complete and not to be lacking...don't you?!

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I haven't heard the story of the butterfly in a number of years and was glad to see that analogy once more. Just like clay, we must submit ourselves to the pressure of the Potter's hands so that He can mold us into the perfect (complete) work according to His plan. If we stop and think about it, isn't it the weathered, distressed look of the antique that makes it so valuable? Accordingly, we should wear the marks of God's hand, rejoicing in them, and realize those (and the mark of His blood) are what make us have value in Him. "From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." Galatians 6:17

melissa lynn said...

Hey Mike. I heard this story just the other day but now being at DBU alone and in the middle of trial it meant more. It is exactly what I needed. I know this year is going to be hard but I want to be real with God and that means taking my lonliness and un comfort to him so that i can grow with him. Thanks for following God's will and posting this when I needed it. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Brim over I to but I think the brief should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I will not concur on it. I over precise post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to review the intact story.